Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Omnipresent



We were passing by a Jesus Christ procession yesterday. The parent wave struck and I started to educate Dyuti (my daughter) about who Jesus was and few facts of Christianity. Finally when I turn around to check what is holding her silent (sure not my speech), as usual she was in her own world. My temper raised (which seems to happen now very often) I started my angry shower,”Dyuti, why are you like this, for studying also you don’t pay attention, why don’t you show little interest in hearing other things? This time I was just saying you the story of Jesus, I am really fed up with you. Day by day you are becoming dumb”.

Again no response, my blood pumped so high, so this time my Husband started “Dyuti did you listen to what Amma was saying.”

Dyuti “Yes, Appa this is the usual scolding of Amma, I even can say it by-heart, even in sleep…Dyutiiiii…”When I turn around I caught her smiling at me. My anger evaporated!

“Ok Dyuti tell- me what where you thinking when I was explaining to you about Jesus.”

“Amma I was thinking, why Christian’s have one God, and Muslims have one God, then why do Hindus have an almira full of Gods?” She looked at me with full confidence of know it all-mom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The very same question may have been raised in you or addressed to you. Did you get a convincing answer? My brother and I did get it. Thanks to my parents, who passed on the correct value of our religious following, so that I can correctly guide my child.  DAD this blog is a tribute for you, which may shed some light on many more parents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo courtesy Google images

To understand why Hindus have so many God, one has to first understand the Hindhu-Dharma. According to Hindu-Dharma everything is God. Everything has the force of creator in it. Every smallest living thing, an atom has this creative force in it as a potential energy. So every living and non-living thing carrying the Creators-potential energy becomes God. 
ALL ARE GOD (sarvam bhramayam).

That why Hindus worship, forces of nature – air, water, fire, earth, and space.
Animals like Cow, Elephant, Snake,
Tress like Neem, banyan, pupil,
Leaves like mango, banana, betel.
Non-Living things like books, houses, vehicles,
Name anything it will be worshipped by Hindus.

“There (in the causal body) one perceives all created things – solids, liquids, gases, electricity, energy, all beings, gods, men, animals, plants, bacteria – as forms of consciousness.” - Autobiography of a Yogi.

The simple way to put  the  principle of Hindu philosophy is: 0 x 1(n) = 0

(0 zero) Creator multiply by any number of creation = (0 zero) the Creator
                                                

Another goal of having different forms of god and goddess is to focus our minds on certain specific attributes of the Supreme, such as truth, love, and purity; and make these qualities manifest in our inner nature. Trying to get ordinary people to mediate, the rishis of the Vedas faced a dilemma. The inexperienced minds of most people are unable to focus on the qualitative attributes of a formless, infinite God. For example, it is very hard to meditate on goodness, by imagining a blank space or a void. “This is because the mind can focus only on those properties which it can perceive through the five senses of sight, smell, sound, taste and touch. Even amongst these, the sense of sight (for example, a picture which signifies goodness) is the most effective tool with which the mind’s attention can be fixed for long periods of time.” Keeping this psychological truth in view, the rishis contemplated images for the various attributes of God. Thus the sages, took the countless attributes of the Universal Lord, and creatively depicted each of them in the forms of the various Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism:For example, as the creator of the universe, the Supreme is symbolically represented as Brahma; as the sustainer and nourisher of the world, He is depicted as Vishnu; and as the power which keeps creation in balance, He is represented as Shiva. Similarly, that aspect of the Supreme which guides our intellect on the path of righteousness is called Mother Gayatri/shakthi; the power which enhances our creativity is Goddess Saraswati and the courage that helps us leap across oceans, is Lord Hanuman.

In this way arise the multitudinous deities of the Hindus. The purpose of these idols being, to aid the mind of the devotee during prayer and meditation. The idols are given particular shapes to channelize the energy force and radiate it in the sanctums. So when devotees enter temple the feel blessed because of the positive vibration the get from the idols and the architecture of the temple.



1 comment: