Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

THE HAPPENING



It was a Saturday morning, when Ruhi woke up late from sleep; she noticed everyone was hustling around. Dad was going for market; mom was busy cleaning up the house with two servant maids help! Saturday - weekends starts with lazy moods, but today was not normal.

Seeing Ruhi awake her parents rushed to her side and slowly the secret was unleashed. Her Papa’s friend’s family was on their way to met them, actually Her! It was arranged with an intention of marriage proposal. Ruhi was annoyed a little, but she knew her parents won’t force anything on her. So she didn't worry much.  They promised her that if and if -only she liked them, the proposal will be proceed, other wise there was no compulsion.

Since the guy’s family was coming to see her in two hours time, she couldn't do much makeup, and she didn’t wanted too. So causally she wore a green slawar suite with bright orange embroidery works and waited without any excitement or anxiousness of how the guy was or his family. She didn't bother to ask the details form her parents too, as she believed nothing can happen on a meet. It was just like other normal day for her to get over with.

 When the fathers’ friends’ family came she didn’t bother to look at the guy too. Once they settled their parents started exchanging and updating their life’s events. He tried to look at her in-between talks but could only see her tender hands decorated with few orange bangles; her nails where cleanly cut and didn’t have the colorations of nail-polish. She was a simple girl with less decoration. It was a relief for him. But he wanted to see her and talk with her to accept her as a life-partner.

Seeing his sons wonder gaze, his father pulled the topic of their visit. Where is your daughter, ask her to come and sit with us, we all like to do some chit chat with her.

The girls came by and did a traditional Namaste gesture with her hands and took a seat near her father.  She was not shy, she was well composed, with good manners, acceptable fashion trends, and beautiful.
He could say he didn't like her, nor he liked her. So to know her better he asked the girl’s father’s permission to talk with her in private.
She took him to the backyard garden, the sun was setting for the day- it was twilight. She offered him a seat in the swing constructed under the mango-tree, and kept her stand near the tree trunk. Still she felt little shy to look at him. There was only silence, only the chipping of birds was heard. But the thoughts in his minds were racing with the winds.

Then they starred at each others eye, and
Her round eyes behind the specs, communicated trust, passion, innocent..literally every thing that he experienced before and roused few other emotions which was new to him. In his heart he knew, there is no come back from this fall.

Is that her presence which make things around me was pleasant and happy. The happy cries of birds coming home, the returning of the sun to his home, the nodding acquaintance of the tree to me! What did it all say?  does the nature indicate that I found my souls home?

 She was dazzled. Completely blank, her entire system was plugged off. Her heart skipped a beat, her brains collapsed with a memory, and her conscious was unconscious by the sight.

Time ticked by…


 
He made the first attempt to speak, but found his tongue was suddenly caught between his teeth, there was signaling error from brain to vocal cord which failed to communicate the thought aroused.  He knew as long as he looked into her eyes, he can’t be himself.

He took his eyes off from her and saw the sky and remarked
“Hi, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Yedhin.”

As he spoke he fought the strong urge to look at her again. He realized that, where ever he gazed the beautiful flower, the green plants, magnificent tree, nothing was as lively or rejuvenating, as her nostalgic eyes were. Is this love at first sight?

 His voice had the opposite effect on her, unlike his sight, his deep manly voice, made her heart beat faster, her brain waves rushed in and her self-consciousness retrieved.

She replied like a charmed snake “Hi, I’am Ruhi”.
Ruhi..soul. Yes indeed you are my soul, he thought. Surprised by his own behavior he suppressed a laugh.
Ruhi watched his unsuccessful silent laugh and got confused and concluded he didn't like her name and thought that if he didn't like the name, he can address her with pet name of his likes. That thought caught her off warranted. I didn't know who he is? What is he? Just an exchange of glance with him, makes me trade my name! I am over reacting?
But that was not a mere exchange of glance, it was of heart!

Yes I have read that eyes are door of heart. Now I experienced it. Too many thoughts bubbled and she broke it thinking that he may think that she is little dull-headed if, she took so much time to respond.

Ruhi continued “Nice to meet you too. Actually my dad informed me with a short notice that you and your family would like to meet me, on your trip to Chennai. I was not prepared to this”.

 “Yes it was same with me. I even disagreed to meet you. Suggested my parents that, at least I would see the photo of the girl, if I like then we would proceed. But it was too late. Communication was done by that time” spilled out Yedhin, breaking the ice.

Ruhi and Yedhin were again consumed in their own waves of thoughts.

Ruhi was confused - did he regret coming here? He didn’t like me? But he didn’t say that? Did he? I can’t make out anything from his face. And I don’t have the moral courage to look at that magnificent face and powerful eyes, once again.

Yedhin thought this is the best moment of my life; of course I want her beside me to have these moments everlasting. Does it really matter if I don’t know her? Will knowing her hobby, interest, qualification will change any of my desire to be with her? So let me tell her straight way how she influencing me? How her first sight has evoked the subtle emotions in me? Shall I ask her to marry me? Will she think I am un-gentle, over reactive person? What does she think about me? Did I create a similar impact at least the smallest in hers?

The twinkling in their hearts reflected in the skies as stars. Ruhi’s father’s appearance made them aware of a world outside them. Ruhi’s father told it was time for dinner, and they should join the others. Both followed him to the dinning. Ruhi felt there was too much of noise in side the house. What was there to talk so much about? Similarly Yedhin was irritated and annoyed as the others disturb his silent thoughts.

Ruhi wished that she could see his face, without his notice, just once. So she consciously shifted her gaze to the place where she expected him to be. But again their eyes met and same phenomena occurred.
To their surprise they noticed that dinner was finished and it was time to leave.

Worried by their kids strange reaction towards each other, parents concluded that, they won’t force them to commit or even comment. Let them take their own time to surface even their opinion.

Yedhin was annoyed for the first time with his father. He thought why my “I-knew-the-best-for-you” father didn't force his decision on all?

Ruhi eyed her mom who understood all her moods and emotion well didn't understand her today? Why didn't she say my daughter likes your son very much and start the dramatic scene of distributing sweets and why in her house they failed to play a romantic number of A.R. Rhaman’s composition?
Nothing was told, nothing was exchanged and they said goodbyes to each other, wishing never to be parted again with goodbyes.

As Ruhi’s parents behaved so well and didn’t ask her any thing about Yedhin, she felt sad and wished if she had a sister, she would have understood her condition and voiced her willingness to their parents. This thought of sibling and an aid to vent her feeling reminded her about her best friend Mohan. She skulled at the thought how the Yedhin was tampering her memories, how could she forget her best friend Mohan, when she needed to vent all her feelings. She was dialing his number and they arranged to meet in coffee-day tomorrow for lunch.

Mohan was Ruhi’s best friend and voice of her thought most of the time. Their friendship was well bonded in two years. It was difficult to say whether similarity of thoughts and interest bonded them or their wants to be friends. It was an eternal bond of joy, freedom and action.  Mohan eyes popped out when he saw half past-last minute get ready friend was waiting for him, in the cafe. He sensed some thing fishy and one glance at Ruhi confirmed his suspicion.
“What’s up Ru? Is it love?” he asked with a crooked smile.

Ruhi flushed and tuned pink, he didn’t tease her this time, but was concerned, what happened to her overnight? But he waited for her to recover and spill it out.
But the time tickled his friend never recovered; she was lost in some memory.

He thought it was enough to act as a gentleman, and asked her out right.
“Who is he? Everything was fine till Friday, over one single day what can happen? Or Ru you where hiding me something?”

She is not good in hiding something like this to me, or she should be good hider, he thought. But all of a sudden then why she wants reveal it? Is she in trouble? He couldn't clearly read anything from her face as it was mixture of anxiety, confusion, worry and even tint of anger.  Mohan was concerned and Ru’s strange silence was not helping him.

 Slowly Ruhi tried to narrate everything to Mohan. She thought actually there was nothing to narrate as such, “Saturday evening my father’s friends’ family came along with their son, to meet me. The meeting was arranged from the point of marriage proposal from both the families. Since it was short notice, I didn't have time inform you Mohan nor that did I give much importance to this meeting. But Mohan I don’t know what happened whether everything fall in place or I felled out. I knew one thing sure– I’m in love, with him, unconditionally and irrationally”.

 Mohan was shocked by the magnitude of her words and truthfulness of her eyes. And confused by the sadness, in her eyes. It was mystery to him how can she fell for guy on just one meet? Do they know each other as acquaintance, family friends? When he voiced his questions to Ru, she surprised him by her answers.

“NO, I don’t even remember his face exactly; all I could recollect was his lovely mesmerizing round black eyes.”
“If it’s some kind of prank you are trying on me Ru, I am telling you its not working”.
“No idiot. Do I look like pulling jokes on you? I am serious. I waited whole day for my parents to bring this issue up, so I can voice my interest, but consciously they avoided this topic. So I came to you to vent it out and seek help, but you are not even trying to hear it out fully” shouted irritated Ruhi. “chill out Ru, have your coffee and tell me everything, I am hear to listen to you and help you. First let’s attack the food come.” Mohan sensible asked Ru to have beverage, which may help her to clam down and think straight.

Hot coffee and cool music did help. Ru confessed that she liked Yedhin very much and she was dazzled when their eyes meet each other and she couldn’t think or say anything to him. All that she could make out in their short conversation was - he didn’t like her name. When she mentioned, he literally laughed at it. She didn’t have any fine idea of what he thinks about her?  And she doesn't know how to address it to her parents. Even though if she managed to convey her interest through her family, what will be his reaction? What if he doesn't like her?”

 “Okie, I got everything clear, please don’t complicate it with complex sentences, and tell me what should I do for you? Should I talk with your parents or should I spy over the guy? Anything for you … uhmm for my friendship Ru.”

Ruhi rolled her eyes and laughed at Mohan’s maniac bollywood dialogues. And she holed his hands and said “Thank you” because she knew if wanted he will do this for her and their friendship.
Mohan snapped back saying “return the favor in my needy times”. And they laughed at each their.
“If you can mange to track him through social networks, and if I get to know his friends, interest and if I met him again, I will mange to talk with him and do anything and everything to convince him to accept my love” Ruhi managed to say and returned to her sulky moods.

Mohan saw the desperation of his friend’s state but still didn’t understand why she wants to convince him? Is that love happens by itself? It doesn’t need any reasons or platforms? But what she is trying to do? Ru is a sensible and responsible girl, but what happened to her? The girl who sits opposite to me is entirely a stranger to me now, at least. May be this new moods and confusion made Ru, un-understanble to her parents?  But if she behaved like this, which is not usually her, will He ever see her originality? Or as she said will she redesign her in accordance to him? Does she want to do that?

 Mohan refrained from saying his opinion that it would hurt her, and nodded “whatever you want, Ru”. But Mohan was disturbed by a few other things parallely. He saw a guy and a small girl was watching them, from the opposite side toy shop some time before.  And now those two were entering the coffee shop and walking towards their table.

He tried to shooed him away saying “we are not done yet.” Since there was no moment he looked up and noticed the guy was staring at Ru. Unaware of these things Ru has looking at her coffee cup and skulking.
“Hi” said the guy. Ruhi’s heart beat faster, her brain waves rushed in and her self-consciousness retrieved. It was the same reaction again surprised her, she lifted her head to she meet his gaze again, the phenomena continued.

 It was Yedhin. He was watching his Ruhi, talking with a guy very seriously in the coffee shop. Even from that distance he didn’t miss the sorrow in Ruhi’s eye.
This troubled him.

He promised himself, if Ruhi was sad because of the turn of events yesterday, he was sure to mend it for her.  He saw that they where holding each others hands. The very site of it evoked jealously in him, he have watched this feeling in countless movies and read about it. It was for the first time he experienced it.
He whishes that he was in the place of that guy, just to hold her hands, just once to open up his heart to tell how he felt about her, just once. But his heart told him he was too late. Over whelmed by the thought Yedhin approached their table.

 This time when Ruhi locked eyes with him, he decided if Ruhi loves this guy, I will help them to get married, in which ever way they wanted. At least by supporting Ruhi, I can stay in her memory if not in her heart.

 Mohan without introduction understood who the guy was and the impact his friend was going through. He interrupted them “Ru is it Yedhin?”
Yedhin was turning red with jealousy; anger was mounting up when he heard him address her RU. He was fighting inside his head to accept the truth Ru is not his.

 Since there was no reaction from Ru, Mohan went on to introduce himself “ Hi, I am Ruhi’s best buddy.
The word buddy was retrieving Yedhin dead heart; everything was in alive and colorful again. Why was he behaving like this, where was his matured thoughts? His self-esteem? Do I love her that much?  Yedhin head was swing with the turn of events.

 You must be Mr.Yedhin?”  Completed Mohan.

 Ruhi must have told about me to him then? Why? If she discusses me to her best pal, then there is hope of ray. He never wanted to miss a chance to ask her what she felt about him. He buttoned the courage and asked in a reflex.  “Ruhi, I liked you when I saw, I love you very much. Do you love me? Do you at least like me?”

There was silence for eternity to kill Yedhin patience; finally he saw Ruhi nodded her head.
But he was confused again, did she nod? Or I am seeing things I wanted to?
So moved near her hold her chin in his palms, lifted her face, looked into her eyes and asked again “Do you love me?”  “Yes, I do love you very much”.
The magic continued ever after.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice narration :) good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @viki thanks. inspired by Twilight saga :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good kripa keep it up writing blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written. Lively pulse throught the narration. Well captured thoughts of either of the chracters. Keep up the good writing.

    Regards
    Arun.

    ReplyDelete